Whitby

Ship Details:

Ship Name: WhitbyWhitby
Ship Information:
Ship, 437 tons old measure / 347 tons new measure, built at Whitby in 1837 by Henry and George Barrick. She was originally owned by J. B. and W. R. Chapman of London, and then by Captain Thomas Wallbank in 1839, who took convicts to Sydney that same year. Captain William Lacy bought her in 1840 and brought the ship to Nelson in 1841 with the ARROW and WILL WATCH, being the first ships to come into Nelson Harbour. He sold her in 1843 to Thomas Hewson of Moulmain (India) who sold her to Phillip Richardson of London in 1844. The last owner was Thomas Ratcliffe of London in 1848.

Voyage Details:

Voyage Name:Whitby
Tonnage:347
Departure Port:Gravesend
Destination Port:Nelson
NZC Ref:34/2, pp.22-5
Examiner Ref:
Voyage Information:
Captain W M Lacy master. Alex McShane surgeon. Sailed from Gravesend 27 April 1841.

Passengers on The Voyage:

SurnameFirst NameAge on ArrivalProfession
ArmstrongJohn24agricultural labourer
ArnoldAldous Richard improver
AttwoodJohn28agricultural labourer
BarnesJohn29boatman
BellHenry Angelo19clerk
BradleyJames33labourer
BrowneDavid surveyor
BrunnerThomas19improver
BrydonWilliam24agricultural labourer
BurnettRobert28agricultural labourer
BurnettRichard30gardener & agricultural labourer
CawteJohn27police officer
ChapmanJames30labourer
CresswellThomas26agricultural labourer
CrossJames Smith25boatman
DavidsonWilliam improver
DearlingThomas23excavator
DoughtyThomas27bricklayer & labourer
EvesSamuel27miner
ForsterJohn26gardener
123
Go Back